SALOMETM POLYCOS (Caronositol 600mg DCI) assists in managing the symptoms of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS).1
- SALOME™ POLYCOS is a nutritional supplement to support female patients suffering from polycystic ovary syndrome.1
- Caronositol is a natural D-chiro-inositol extracted from the fruit of the Carob tree (Ceratonia siliqua)1.
What is PCOS?
PCOS is one of the most common hormonal disorders among women in their reproductive age, affecting approximately 4 -8 % of women.2
- PCOS affects 4 – 8 % of women 2.
- About 74 % of women with PCOS have anovulatory cycles (irregular or absent periods)2.
- 48% have hyperandrogenism (excess male hormones leading to hair growth on the face and body, baldness and acne)2.
- About 70 % have insulin resistance2.
Symptoms & diagnosis of PCOS
PCOS may present with different symptoms and signs at different stages of a woman’s life. Common symptoms and signs of PCOS are:
- Secondary amenorrhoea (absence of periods) or oligomenorrhoea (irregular periods)5. Menstrual irregularities or no periods at all, due to not ovulating.
- Hyperandrogenism5. Excess male hormones leading to:
- Unwanted hair growth on the upper lip, face, arms, back, chest, thumbs, toes, or abdomen (hirsutism), due to an excess of male hormones.
- Thinning hair on the head or male pattern balding.
- Cysts on ovaries5
To diagnose PCOS, two of the three main symptoms above must be present and any disorders that mimic PCOS symptoms must be excluded6.
Other symptoms/features of PCOS are5:
• Heart disease
• Insulin resistance
Treatment of PCOS
- A main therapeutic option is hormonal treatment (e.g., oral contraceptives) which have been used to balance the menstrual cycle.7
- Non-hormonal therapies include insulin sensitizers e.g., metformin which has been seen to assist with insulin resistance and improving ovulation.7,8
- Lifestyle modification which includes healthy eating and exercise to achieve weight loss is recommended in women who are obese or overweight.7
- For women who are trying to conceive: clomiphene/letrozole (ovulation-inducing agents), metformin and lifestyle modification.7
- Alternative treatment of PCOS includes Myo-Inositol (MI) and D-chiro-Inositol (DCI).8
- DCI improves ovarian function by increasing insulin sensitivity, thereby reducing the excess male hormones. This helps improve menstruation regulation, reduces the symptoms of hyperandrogenism and assists with weight loss.2,3,5
- In women who are not looking to conceive at the time and are insulin resistant and struggling with weight loss, DCI can be used. It is more abundant in tissues and cells containing insulin receptors therefore works to increase insulin sensitivity.7
- With reduced insulin, and reduced androgens; weight loss, ovarian function, hirsutism and acne are also improved.2,3
How To Take SALOME™ POLYCOS
- Take 1 - 2 capsules once daily.1
If You Forget To Take SALOME™ POLYCOS:
- Do not take a double dose to make up for forgotten individual doses.
Complementary Medicine: Health Supplement D34.12 Multiple substance formulation.
SALOME™ POLYCOS. Each capsule contains D-chiro-inositol 600 mg
This unregistered medicine has not been evaluated by the SAHPRA for its quality, safety or intended use.