A NATURAL HERBAL EXTRACT FOR HMB
- The natural herbal extract of capsella bursa-pastoris facilitates the regulation of menstrual blood flow1
- SALOME™ HEAVY MENSTRUAL BLEEDING capsule contains a dry extract of Capsella bursa-pastoris (known as Shepherd’s purse) which is a scientifically studied medicinal plant that has shown to have smooth-muscle stimulant effects
- The extract of Capsella bursa-pastoris has several active substances, such as tannins, thiamine, acetylcholine and flavonoids that play a role in the management of heavy menstrual bleeding (HMB) due to their:
- Antioxidant features which can improve uterine tone and thereby facilitate the regulation of menstrual blood flow.
- Anti-inflammatory features which can have a positive impact on the treatment of HMB
WHAT IS MENORRHAGIA?3
- Menorrhagia is the medical term for menstrual periods with abnormally heavy or prolonged bleeding.
- Heavy menstrual bleeding is a subjective finding, making the exact problem definition difficult.
- It is one of the most common gynaecologic complaints:
- According to the World Health Organization, 18 million females worldwide aged 30-55 years perceive their menstrual bleeding to be excessive.
- Heavy menstrual bleeding must however be distinguished clinically from other common gynaecologic causes of bleeding, e.g. pregnancy, anovulatory bleeding, fibroids, etc.
- Heavy menstrual bleeding can lead to anaemia and low quality of life.
SYMPTOMS & DIAGNOSIS OF MENORRHAGIA2
- Soaking through one or more sanitary pads or tampons every hour for several consecutive hours.
- Needing to wake up to change sanitary protection during the night.
- Passing blood clots.
- Symptoms of anaemia, such as tiredness, fatigue or shortness of breath may be experienced with severe bleeding.
TREATMENT OF MENORRHAGIA3
- Therapeutic treatment of menorrhagia depends on the cause and seriousness of the bleeding.
- Main therapeutic options are hormonal treatment (eg, contraceptives) - which have been shown to reduce menstrual flow volume.
- Non-hormonal therapies include non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), which reduce menstrual bleeding.
- Top Level Item
- Top Level Item
HOW TO TAKE SALOME™ HEAVY MENSTRUAL BLEEDING capsules
- The recommended dose is one capsule three times daily (daily dose: 1200 mg dry extract Capsella bursa-pastoris).
- To be started 3-5 days before menstruation and to be continued during menstrual bleeding.
- If the symptoms persist during the use of the medicinal product, a doctor or a qualified health care practitioner should be consulted.
IF YOU TAKE MORE SALOME™ HEAVY MENSTRUAL BLEEDING capsules THAN YOU SHOULD?
- No cases of overdose have been reported.
- In the event of over-dosage, consult your doctor or pharmacist. If neither is available, contact the nearest hospital or poison control centre.
IF YOU FORGET TO TAKE SALOME™ HEAVY MENSTRUAL BLEEDING capsules.
- Do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten capsule.
Complementary Medicine: Health Supplement D 34.13
This unregistered medicine has not been evaluated by the SAHPRA for its quality, safety or intended use.